It used to be the golden rule that new artists would only release albums after a hit single yet that tide seems to have changed with Chris Stapleton and Kane Brown scored success via different channels. With the playbook changing Big Machine Records has decided to release modern country traditionalist Alex Williams’ debut album Better Than Myself on August 11, 2017.
From Pendleton, Indiana, Williams worked with Grammy winning songwriter/producer Julian Raymond (Glen Campbell, Jennifer Nettles, Cheap Trick) to craft his 12 track blend of true tales that are told through a filter of twangy tele’s, rolling honky tonk pianos, and classic steel guitars and Raymond’s masterful production. Williams, with a rich baritone, promises to find fans of classic country and southern rock and reel them in song by song.
The album was recorded live in studio and basic tracks were tracked in just two days. The house band was a group of a-list players including Tom Bukovac, Dan Dugmore and Matt Rollings. The record promises nothing, if not honesty. “It seems like there's a lot of people out there just trying to get through the day," reflects Williams. "They're working a job they don't love or following somebody else's dreams just because it's safe and it keeps them comfortable. I didn't want to be like that."
Alex Williams Better Than Myself Tracklist:
- Better Than Myself (Alex Williams, Greg Becker)
- Hellbent Hallelujah (Alex Williams, Neal Coty, Jimmy Melton)
- More Than Survival (Alex Williams, Marshall Altman)
- Freak Flag (Alex Williams, Marshall Altman)
- Week Without A Drink (Alex Williams, Brandon Kinney, Jimmy Yeary)
- A Little Too Stoned (Alex Williams, Greg Becker)
- Old Tattoo (Alex Williams)
- Strange Days (Alex Williams, Marshall Altman)
- Pay No Mind (Alex Williams, Greg Becker)
- Can’t Get Enough Of You (Alex Williams, Marshall Altman)
- Few Short Miles (Bobby’s Song) (Alex Williams)
- Last Cross (Alex Williams, Greg Becker)