The Americana Music Association has announced its field of Nominees for 2017 and it’s a packed list with stars like Lori McKenna, John Prine, Jason Isbell and Lori McKenna leading the way.
Americana Album of the Year:
- American Band, Drive-By Truckers, Produced by David Barbe
- Close Ties, Rodney Crowell, Produced by Kim Buie and Jordan Lehning
- Freedom Highway, Rhiannon Giddens, Produced David Bither, Rhiannon Giddens and Dirk Powell
- The Navigator, Hurray for the Riff Raff, Produced by Paul Butler
- A Sailor’s Guide to Earth, Sturgill Simpson, Produced by Sturgill Simpson
Artist of the Year:
- Jason Isbell
- John Prine
- Lori McKenna
- Margo Price
- Sturgill Simpson
Duo/Group of the Year:
- Billy Bragg & Joe Henry
- Drive-By Truckers
- Marty Stuart & His Fabulous Superlatives
- The Lumineers
Emerging Artist of the Year:
- Aaron Lee Tasjan
- Amanda Shires
- Brent Cobb
- Sam Outlaw
Song of the Year:
- “All Around You,” Sturgill Simpson, Written by Sturgill Simpson
- “It Ain’t Over Yet,” Rodney Crowell (feat. Rosanne Cash & John Paul White), Written by Rodney Crowell
- “To Be Without You,” Ryan Adams, Written by Ryan Adams
- “Wreck You,” Lori McKenna, Written by Lori McKenna and Felix McTeigue
Instrumentalist of the Year:
- Spencer Cullum, Jr.
- Jen Gunderman
- Courtney Hartman
- Charlie Sexton
The winners of each category will be announced during the Americana Honors and Awards show onSeptember 13, 2017 at the historic Ryman Auditorium in Nashville, TN. The celebrated program is the capstone event of “AMERICANAFEST℠,” the Americana Music Festival and Conference, which runs from September 12-17, 2017.
Each year, the Americana Music Association℠ honors distinguished members of the music community with six member-voted annual awards and with Lifetime Achievement Awards, which will be announced leading up to the event.
Described by Emmylou Harris as “the shining star of Nashville and music everywhere,” the Americana Honors and Awards show has been broadcast in the past on AXS TV, PBS, and via SiriusXM Radio, BBC2, WMOT, WRLT, WSM, Voice of America and npr.org. The show has featured many amazing moments in musical history including Johnny Cash & June Carter Cash's last live performance together, as well as show-stopping appearances by Bob Weir, George Strait, Don Henley, Bonnie Raitt, Gregg Allman, The Avett Brothers, Solomon Burke, Rosanne Cash, Civil Wars, Dr. John with Dan Auerbach, Patty Griffin, Levon Helm, Robert Plant and many more. Tickets for the Americana Honors & Awards are available for purchase by conference registrants of the weeklong event.