RoughStock was on the scene last night at the historic RCA Studio A (Now named Grand Victor Sound) for the listening party for "Traveller," Chris Stapleton's debut solo album for Mercury Records Nashville. Known for his stunning soulful voice and as the songwriter of hits like "Drink A Beer" "Your Man," "Never Wanted Nothing More" and hundreds of other cuts, Chris Stapleton shared the stunning Traveller last night with a select group of industry folks and tastemakers. He recorded "Sometimes I Cry" for the project with all of the tastemakers still there after listening to Traveller.
Traveller was produced by Dave Cobb and recored by Vance Powell. Stapleton wrote or co-wrote 12 of the 14 tracks for Traveller. Don Sampson’s “Was It 26” and Dean Dillon & Linda Hargrove’s “Tennessee Whiskey” are the only outside cuts on the project.
Of his inspiration behind the record, Stapleton comments, “This record was made standing on the shoulders of friends, family, and heroes. I hope people enjoy listening to it as much as I've enjoyed making it.”
Over the course of his acclaimed career, Stapleton has penned over 170 album cuts, including songs recorded by Adele, Tim McGraw, Brad Paisley and Dierks Bentley, and has such notable co-writers as Vince Gill, Peter Frampton and Sheryl Crow among others. Additionally, Stapleton has shared the stage with such respected artists as Gill, Alison Krauss, Marty Stuart, Emmylou Harris and more. As lead vocalist for critically acclaimed bluegrass band The SteelDrivers, Stapleton earned three Grammy nominations including “Best Bluegrass Album,” as well as an International Bluegrass Music Association Award for “Emerging Artist of the Year.” He’s also won eight ASCAP Awards and has contributed to the soundtracks of several feature films including “Cars 2” and “Valentine’s Day.”
In celebration of the release, Stapleton will join Little Big Town on their Pain Killer Tour in March followed by a series of The Outsiders World Tour shows with Eric Church in May.
TRAVELLER ALBUM TRACKLIST:
- Traveller (Chris Stapleton)
- Fire Away (Chris Stapleton and Danny Green)
- Tennessee Whiskey (Dean Dillon and Linda Hargrove)
- Parachute (Chris Stapleton and Jim Beavers)
- Whiskey And You (Chris Stapleton and Lee Thomas Miller)
- Nobody To Blame (Chris Stapleton, Barry Bales and Ronnie Bowman)
- More Of You (Chris Stapleton and Ronnie Bowman)
- When The Stars Come Out (Chris Stapleton and Dan Wilson)
- Daddy Doesn’t Pray Anymore (Chris Stapleton)
- Might As Well Get Stoned (Chris Stapleton and Jimmy Stewart)
- Was It 26 (Don Sampson)
- The Devil Named Music (Chris Stapleton)
- Outlaw State Of Mind (Chris Stapleton, Ronnie Bowman and Jerry Salley)
- Sometimes I Cry (Chris Stapleton and Clint Ingersoll)