Announced late in 2014, the Mavericks eighth full-length studio Mono is set to be released on February 17, 2014. Today, the band issued the official tracklist for Mono, their sophomore project with The Valory Music Co. after nearly a decade of inactivity.
Raul Malo, whose signature tenor fronts The Mavericks, penned each of the standard 11 tracks in addition to teaming up with Niko Bolas once again for producing duties. With a palpable connection, founding member Paul Deakin (Drums, Percussion and Marimba), Eddie Perez (Electric and Acoustic Guitars) and Jerry Dale McFadden (Piano, Organ, Celeste) add magic to each song. The project features The Fantastic Four, longtime backing musicians: Michael Guerra (Accordion and Percussion), Max Abrams (Saxophones), Paul Armstrong (Trumpets) and Jay Weaver (Upright Bass and Tuba), who bring even more gusto to The Mavericks’ already indescribable musical trance.
“With MONO we started with less purpose and more passion, hoping to do what music is supposed to do, evoke a vibe that naturally takes each listener somewhere different,” said Malo. “That’s what happened to each of us as we went in the studio and listened to old vinyls before recording. There was just a beauty to the sound that inspired how we developed these songs and even why we chose to record in mono. One of the things we found interesting as we listened to playback in ‘mono’ – usually at the end of each day – was how ‘finished’ the songs sounded. In turn the album has but a few overdubs and that works in our favor because each part played counts for a lot. Our hope is to present this album almost exactly as it was recorded.”
The Mavericks Mono Tracklist
- "All Night Long" (Raul Malo)
- “Summertime (When I’m With You)” (Raul Malo)
- “Pardon Me” (Raul Malo, Alan Miller)
- “What Am I Supposed To Do” (Raul Malo)
- “Stories We Could Tell” (Raul Malo, Wally Wilson)
- “What You Do To Me” (Raul Malo, Allen Miller)
- “Let It Rain (On Me)” (Raul Malo)
- “The Only Question Is” (Raul Malo)
- “Out The Door” (Raul Malo)
- “(Waiting For) The World To End” (Raul Malo, Alan Miller)
- “Fascinate Me” (Raul Malo, Jerry Dale McFadden)
- **Bonus Track** “Nitty Gritty” (Doug Sahm)